ARTISTIC AWARD GUIDELINES
1. RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS:
The Nominee must have lived in either Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon or Northwest Territories for six (6) consecutive months between January 1, 2016 and March 13, 2017.
- Groups: 50% of group members must meet residency requirements.
- Proof of residency may be required.
2. RELEASE REQUIREMENTS:
- The nominee must have a commercial release between March 21, 2015 and March 21, 2017.
A release is defines as:
- A minimum of 3 new songs must be commercially released and not be part of a collection previously nominated within 24 months of the submission deadline.
- At least 50% of the tracks on the recording must be previously unreleased cuts.
- Exceptions to this are Jazz and Classical, and Electronic/Dance and Instrumental categories which must be at least 75% previously unreleased cuts.
- ‘Cut’ is defined as material previously released to radio or retail
- All recordings must properly credit all songwriters.
- All mechanical royalties must be paid.
3. MUSIC INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP
It is recommended nominees, and those submitting, be a member of a Western Canadian Music Industry Association but is not required. Upon acceptance, the MIA’s will be contacted to ensure current membership.
The Western Canadian Music Industry Associations include
4. NOMINATION FEES & SUBMISSION DEADLINE
• Submissions Open: 11:00 a.m. CST on Monday, January 16th, 2017.
• Submissions Close: 11:00 p.m. CST on Monday, March 13th, 2017.
• Instructions for Submitting An Entry:
• Submission to the festival does not guarantee acceptance.
• Festival applicants must submit at least three professionally recorded songs for adjudication.
• There are no release date requirements for the submitted festival material.
• All submissions are accepted online only. CD's of the music must be mailed in.
• Payment of the entry fee may only be made by credit card online.
• Online submissions must be completed by midnight CST on Monday, March 13, 2017.
• One submission must be completed for each category submitting to.
• Read all Guidelines and Category requirements to ensure qualification.
• Please complete submissions in full and accurately. Only submitted information is what jurors consider when adjudicating final completed submissions.
5. NOMINATION AND VOTING PROCEDURES
Each submission will be considered for selection as one of the five final nominees in each category. The submissions will be screened upon completion to ensure that each submission is complete and meets all eligibility requirements. Any submissions that are incomplete or ineligible will be disqualified. No refunds will be issued.
A panel of impartial jurors from across Canada will adjudicate all submissions and select the final five nominees in each category. The jury committee reserves the right to categorize a submission at their sole discretion.
If a category is over populated a super jury will be convene to review.
Electronic voting will be open to all current members of the Western Canadian Music Industry Associations and to jurors for final voting to select the winners. Final voting results are equally weighted between Western Canadian Music Industry Association members and jurors.
*The Jazz, Francophone and Classical categories will be selected and voted on solely by jurors.
6. MULTIPLE SUBMISSIONS OF ONE ALBUM
Each category has it’s own restrictions and requirements. Make sure to read the Artistic Awards Categories for a complete list of all category specifications.
7. NOMINATION SUBMISSION IN SUCCESSIVE YEARS
Because the eligibility period is longer than one year, an album may be eligible for two consecutive years.
- The album must still meet all release requirements.
- No album will be selected as a final nominee in the same category two years in a row.
- An album cannot be submitted in one genre category one year and in a different category the next.
All details are subject to change.
8. MINIMUM NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS
There must be a minimum of four (4) submissions for a category to proceed in any year. If four (4) submissions were not received for a particular category, that category is skipped for that year and nominees can resubmit their album the following year.
9. JURY SELECTION
Each award category will be juried by a group of at least ten jurors unless otherwise stated in Guideline #5. The jurors are chosen for their demonstrated knowledge and expertise in their fields and for their impartiality. No WCMA Board or Staff member takes part in any adjudication and are required to be neutral without influence.
The WCMA reserves the right to select a juror who is not a resident of one of the five member regions if it is necessary to compile a strong, impartial jury that given year.