EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (TEMPORARY) JOB POSTING
Western Canadian Music Alliance is seeking applications for a 13-month interim position for the role of Executive Director. The Executive Director of the Western Canadian Music Alliance works for the Board of Directors and oversees the finances and day-to-day operations of the organizations and event staff of core BreakOut West event and educational and marketing initiatives year round for the Western Canadian Music Alliance.
Position: Executive Director
Term: 13 month Temporary Maternity Leave Coverage
Dates: December 2018 through December 2019
Please see Schedule A below for a detailed description of the position expectations.
The Western Canadian Music Alliance (WCMA) is a member-based organization that includes the Music Industry Associations (MIAs) of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and the Yukon. The main function of the WCMA is to promote and celebrate western Canadian music and to create business and career development opportunities for western Canadian Musicians and music companies. We accomplish this primarily through producing the BreakOut West (BOW) conference and festival and the Western Canadian Music Awards. This event is held each fall in a different region across the west on a rotational basis.
WCMA and BreakOut West is a forward thinking organization, always staying on top of new technology and trends to best support our members, artists and the music industry. BreakOut West strives to be at the forefront of the music industry and represent the best new music from the region.
The WCMA office is located in Winnipeg. As a pan-western organization, we will consider submissions from any of the member provinces or territories.
Preference may be given to Winnipeg-based candidates; however, offsite options will be seriously considered, as the key goal is to find the perfect hire. Relocation to Winnipeg is an option but not essential to the position. If a candidate chooses to relocate to Winnipeg, moving expenses cannot be provided.
As a small team, the ideal candidate will be productive and enjoyable to work with. With the speed of major events and the music industry, it is important to have a team that can be quick and flexible with deadlines.
The ideal candidate will have a strong combination of the following:
- Proven ability in motivating staff, developing key partnerships, and leading a strong pan-western organization towards its strategic goals and objectives;
- Minimum 5 years management level experience with a non-profit organization;
- Demonstrated experience working with Boards of Directors;
- Bachelor degree or higher in a relevant discipline or equivalent training and experience;
- Understanding of business principles applied to a non-profit organization, with a demonstrated ability to lead operations and manage resources effectively;
- Proven ability to build and sustain successful relationships with government representatives, organizations and funders;
- Efficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite with excellent oral and written communication skills and effective organizational and staff management skills;
- Ability to travel and represent WCMA in international and domestic environments;
- Energetic individual with a passion for music and a creative approach to program planning and event management;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
The following will be considered assets for this position:
- Extensive knowledge of the music industry, regionally, nationally and internationally, its key leaders, organizations, businesses and the issues facing industry will be considered an asset;
- Strong human resources and policy development skills will be an asset;
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, in the French language;
- Experience with marketing initiatives and social media campaigns.
This is a full time, temporary position. Compensation will be subject to experience.
A competitive benefits package is in place. National and international travel may be required.
All applications must be received on or before November 20, 2018. Please include salary expectations in the cover letter.
Apply in writing to:
WCMA, 1-118 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 2B4 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email if further information is required. No phone or in-person inquiries please.
We appreciate all interest in this role; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.