BREAKOUT WEST FESTIVAL GUIDELINES
BreakOutWest showcase are submissions now open!
To apply to showcase at BreakOut West as a Nordic artists please click here for more information.
Canadian Submission criteria
1. RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
All performing festival artists must be residents of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon and/or the Northwest Territories, for at least six months between January 1, 2021 and April 1, 2022. The mandate of the Western Canadian Music Alliance is to support artists and companies who reside in Western Canada a majority of the time and as such contribute to healthy and thriving music communities in the region. In the case of groups, 50% of the members must meet residency requirement.
• Groups: 50% of group members must meet residency requirements.
2. MUSIC INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP
It is recommended nominees, and those submitting, be a member of a Western Canadian Music Industry Association but is not required. Upon acceptance, the MIA’s will be contacted to ensure current membership.
The Western Canadian Music Industry Associations include:
• Music BC
• Manitoba Music
• Alberta Music
• Music Yukon
• Music NWT
• Alianait Music (Nunavut Based Artist)
3. SUBMISSION FEES AND DEADLINES
|Early Bird |15% Off
• Instructions for Submitting an Entry:
• Submission to the festival does not guarantee acceptance.
• Festival applicants must submit at least three professionally recorded songs for adjudication.
• There are no release date requirements for the submitted festival material.
• All submissions are accepted online only.
• Payment of the entry fee may only be made by credit card online only.
• Online submissions must be completed by April 1, 2022
• One submission must be completed for each category submitting to.
• Read all Guidelines and Category requirements to ensure qualification.
• Please complete submissions in full and accurately. Only submitted information is what jurors consider when adjudicating final completed submissions.
4. MUSICAL GENRE
The Western Canadian Music Alliance intends to be as inclusive as possible; therefore, we welcome submissions of all genres. However, if there are not enough qualified submissions for a specific genre category we cannot guarantee a genre specific festival/showcase event.
5. FESTIVAL ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA
BreakOut West is a music industry showcase, designed to match export-ready artists based in Western Canada with industry professionals at their level. Artists are selected based on their goals, recent experience, and the likelihood to which they would find concrete business at the BreakOut West conference. WCMA recommends that submitting artists meet at least two, but ideally all four of FACTOR’s criteria for export readiness.
BreakOut West is a juried showcase festival that takes many details into consideration. These may include; diversity of genre, language, gender and cultural identity. The festival also strives to represent all Wesern Canadian Music Alliance geographic regions. Gender-non-conforming artists, Indigenous artists, and artists of colour are strongly encouraged to apply.
6. FESTIVAL SHOWCASE ARTIST COMPENSATION
- Delegate Package valued at $215, per band member, which includes wristband to all festival showcases, delegate pass to take part in the BOW conference including workshops, networking receptions, sign up for one-on-one meetings, songwriting sessions, etc.
- All showcasing artists will be able to access early and exclusive sign up for One-on-one meetings with industry mentors, ahead of general access.
- As a showcase at a recognized music industry conference, selected showcasing artists may be eligible to apply for support through FACTOR, and their provincial showcase funding program for support of showcase expenses. This may include travel, accommodations, payment to artists, per diems, marketing expenses, etc. Please contact your provincial music industry association for more detail.
- Access to hotel room discounts at participating hotels negotiated by WCMA (linked to hotel rates page on BOW website)
- Marketing tools to promote showcases including electronic show posters, social media promotions and use of logos and branding upon request.