Posted On: Mar. 21, 2016
CONFERENCE MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
WESTERN CANADIAN MUSIC ALLIANCE
Western Canadian Music Alliance is seeking applications for the role of Conference Manager. The Conference Manager of the Western Canadian Music Alliance works with the Executive Director and other WCMA staff to manage and produce the BreakOut West Conference and lead educational and marketing initiatives year round for the Western Canadian Music Alliance.
Please see Schedule A for a detailed description of the position expectations.
The Western Canadian Music Alliance (WCMA) is a member-based organization that includes the Music Industry Associations (MIAs) of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and the Yukon. The main function of the WCMA is to promote and celebrate western Canadian music and to create business and career development opportunities for western Canadian Musicians and music companies. We accomplish this primarily through producing the BreakOut West (BOW) conference and festival and the Western Canadian Music Awards. This event is held each fall in a different region across the west on a rotational basis.
WCMA and BreakOut West is a forward thinking organization, always staying on top of new technology and trends to best support our members, artists and the music industry. BreakOut West strives to be at the forefront of the music industry and represent the best new music from the region. The BOW Conference is a key component of this goal.
The WCMA office is located in Winnipeg. As a pan-western organization, we will consider submissions from any of the member provinces or territories.
Preference may be given to Winnipeg-based candidates; however, offsite options will be seriously considered, as the key goal is to find the perfect hire. Relocation to Winnipeg is an option but not essential to the position. If a candidate chooses to relocate to Winnipeg, moving expenses cannot be provided.
As a small team, the ideal candidate will be productive and enjoyable to work with. With the speed of major events and the music industry, it is important to us to have a team that can be quick and flexible with deadlines.
Applicants should possess the following required qualifications:
- Energetic individual with a passion for music and a creative approach to program planning and event management.
- Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent training and experience.
- Understanding of business principles applied to a non-profit organization, with a demonstrated ability to lead operations and manage resources effectively.
- Efficient in Microsoft Office with excellent oral and written communication skills and effective organizational and staff management skills;
- Knowledge of the music industry; and,
- Experience with marketing initiatives.
The following will be considered assets for this position:
- Experience working for a Board driven organization;
- Social media knowledge and experience;
This is a full time position with 2-year renewable term contracts. Compensation will be subject to experience. A competitive benefits package is in place. National and international travel is required.
All applications must be received on or before April 5, 2016. Please include salary expectations in the cover letter.
Apply in writing to:
WCMA, 1-118 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 2B4 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email if further information is required. No phone or in-person inquiries please.
We appreciate all interest in this role; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Conference Manager shall manage all aspects of the BreakOut West Conference to ensure logistical delivery, marketing, fund development and communications as well as integration with other aspects of the organization. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
(a) Program and Service Delivery
- Manage the planning and implementation of the BreakOut West Conference;
- Work with Executive Director, Host Committee, graphic designers and producers to ensure the 12 month event production timeline is implemented on schedule;
- Liaise with provincial and national music industry associations;
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, write applications and reports for government funding agencies to secure funding for the event. Includes: financial reports, written reports, survey statistics and quotes from delegates;
(b) Community and Public Relations
- In conjunction with the Executive Director act as the WCMA representative to provincial and national bodies involved in the music community as pertaining to the events comprising the BreakOut West weekend;
- In conjunction with the Executive Director liaise with provincial government representatives to ensure communication and accountability;
(c) General Administration and Financial Management
- Ensure accurate financial, statistical, personnel and program records for the conference;
- Manage and administer organization website and web based properties;
- Ensure BreakOut West is managed in accordance with all legal requirements and with the constitution and by-laws;
- Operate within the approved budget;
- Provide a detailed final report to the Executive Director within one month after BreakOut West;
- Train all new conference and volunteer coordination staff.